Multi-Year Accessibility Plan for HBC
Multi-year accessibility plan for Hudson’s Bay Company
This 2019-2024 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Hudson’s Bay Company has completed or will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
Hudson’s Bay Company is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. The Company believes in integration and equal opportunity. The Company is committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under Ontario’s Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
Hudson’s Bay Company is committed to providing our customers with publicly available emergency procedures, plans or public safety information in an accessible way, as soon as practical, upon request.
Since January 1, 2012, the Company has provided individualized workplace emergency response information to our employees with disabilities, if the disability is such that the individualized information is necessary and the Company is aware of the need for accommodation.
Hudson’s Bay Company Since January 1, 2012, the Company has provided individualized workplace emergency response information to our employees with disabilities, if the disability is such that the individualized information is necessary and the Company is aware of the need for accommodation.
- during onboarding for all new hires in Ontario and includes (i) the Ontario Human Rights Code and (ii) “Welcoming Customers with Disabilities” eLearning courses on the Company’s learning management system; and
- provided in a way that best suits the needs and responsibilities of our associates.
Hudson’s Bay Company will consider the needs of people with disabilities when designing, procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks.
Information and Communications
Hudson’s Bay Company is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities.
Hudson’s Bay Company will ensure that its websites or new domains conform to WCAG 2.0, Level A as required by Ontario’s Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Hudson’s Bay Company takes the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request:
- Make available feedback forms on the company’s Health and Safety intranet site for all locations to provide to the public upon request.
- Training provided to local management to assess the format required by the customer and to provide accommodation as required.
Hudson’s Bay Company takes the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request:
- Continue to make the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act policy available on Hudson’s Bay Company website.
- Continue to provide training to our associates to assess the format required by the customer and to provide accommodation as required.
- Accept requests from customers over the phone, in person, or in writing.
Hudson’s Bay Company is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. The Company will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and hiring process and during employment. The Company will continue to review recruitment policies, job descriptions, processes and communications and amend as required to take into consideration the requirements set out in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Hudson’s Bay Company has return-to-work policies and programs for accommodations of associates that are absent due to a disability. The Company will ensure the accessibility needs of its associates with disabilities that are made known to us are taken into account during performance management, career development and redeployment processes. Hudson’s Bay Company will continuously strive to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers as they are identified.
The Company informs it’s associates of the processes used to support associates with disabilities, including, but not limited to, the provision of job accommodations that take into account an associate’s accessibility needs due to disability, by: (i) consulting with our associates with disabilities to determine those accessible formats or communication supports that may be of assistance, and how such accommodation may be provided; and (ii) providing the information as soon as practicable after commencement of employment, and updates whenever there is a change to the policies.
Design of Public Spaces
Hudson’s Bay Company will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces (Ontario) when building or making major modifications to public spaces. Public spaces include:
- Outdoor paths of travel, like sidewalks, ramps, stairs, curb ramps, rest areas and accessible pedestrian signals;
- Accessible off street parking; and
- Service-related elements like service counters, fixed queuing lines and waiting areas.
Hudson’s Bay Company has the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces.
- In the event of a service disruption, local management will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available by completing and posting the notice of disruption form available on the Health and Safety intranet site.
For more information
For more information on this accessibility multi-year plan, please contact our Service Excellence team at:
- Phone: 1.800.521.2364
- Email: email@example.com
Accessible formats of this document are available free upon request.